Pages

Sunday, February 24, 2013

Mean old Oscars!

Well.

Since the stupid Oscars are on ABC instead of the incredible Once Upon a Time tonight, I am here to write a blog post.

I just heard crowds of people burst into exuberant cheers.

Ahem.

Anyway, I thought I'd hold my own version of the Oscars since all the real nominees are stupid.

Okay, first, I'll just go ahead and say I've only seen one of the nine nominees and I did not like it...at all!  And all the others just look lame.  Besides, since neither the Avengers or the Hobbit is on the list, it instantly makes it stupid.  Heck, The Hunger Games isn't even on there!  They could have at least had the Hunger Games.

Okay, rabbit trail aside, here is what I believe to be the best film of 2012.


The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey.

Betcha never saw THAT coming did you?

Worst Film of 2012


Snow White and the Huntsman

It was a tough choice for me.  It was either going to be Snow White and the Huntsman or Les Miserables, but since I don't feel like being stoned/drowned/shot/burned/buried alive or otherwise obliterated in some other manner by die-hard fans, I decided to go with Snow White.

Besides, I'll admit my distaste for Les Mis is probably more personal opinion than it being a terrible movie.  I've never liked musicals.  I could guess what they were going to say next because I would recognize the rhyme scheme.  The movie seemed to want to make sure the audience had it ABSOLUTELY clear that "heart" and "apart" actually *gasp* rhyme!  I've never liked romance. The little respect I had for the film was lost when Cosette and Marius started going all tacky romance with the "we saw each other out of the corner of our eye on a crowded street now we want to get married" junk.

Oh wait.  I'm supposed to be griping about Snow White, not Les Mis.

Wait wait!  Before you start hurling pies and anvils at me, I'll make it up to all you fans!

The acting was fantastic.  I can absolutely see Hugh Jackman being nominated for best actor.  (Though I don't understand why Richard Armitage did not get nominated.  He is by far the best actor I have ever watched on any screen EVER!  Yes.  I'd say he's even better than Elijah Wood and Viggo Mortensen.  Heresy, I know.)

And Anne Hathaway also did a good job, though I don't get how she could get best supporting actress with that, what?  Ten minute roll?   I was very surprised to learn that Russell Crowe could sing.

The costumes and scenery were fantastic.  The make up made people look grody, which was cool.

Maybe I'll do a longer post further explaining my feelings for Les Mis. But for now...

Snow White.  Writing so horrible terrible it made me cringe before the characters even opened their mouths.  ZERO characterization.  Horrid acting on the part of the illustrious Kristen Stewart.  Is it just me, or can she seriously only do one expression?  You know, the blank stare of nothingness expression?  The one I do whenever I feel...asleep?  Yeah, that one.  Pathetic, cliche, no surprise story line.  Absolutely no theme.  Stupid fantasy world.

Seriously.  What were Chris Hemsworth and Sam Claflin wasting their time with that movie for???

There.  You Les Mis fans satisfied   Good.

Oh, by the way, I'm also playing a game right now.  It's called, "how many times can I use the word stupid in a single blog post."  It's pretty fun.  And stupid.  I feel like being as bad a writer as the Snow White writer right now.  No judging!

Now!  Let's move off the negative and onto some positive, shall we?

Best Actor



Absolutely, totally, no question whatsoever, goes to Richard Armitage.

Call me biased, but his performance of Thorin Oakenshield blew me away!  You could almost feel how deep his emotions and tensions were.

As soon as it comes out, I'm totally buying it simply to watch it and stare at Richard Armitage's eyes.  1.  Because the incredible amount of feeling they portray is indescribable.  2.  I'm a teenage girl.  Even though you might not notice because of how intelligent, awesome, and incredibly genius I am, I do indeed go fangirl over certain things in life.  Richard Armitage is one of those things.  Cookies are another.  And ice cream.

But hey, if I were to nominate some other actors...I would do...

Tom Hiddleston

Josh Brolin

Josh Hutcherson

Aand yeah, Hugh Jackman.

Best Actress



Jennifer Lawrence.  Absolutely no question there.  I hope she wins it tonight, even if it isn't for the Hunger Games.

Her portrayal of Katniss was simply...wow.  It was spot-on, perfect.  I found it incredible how she managed to make Katniss so powerful and yet, so weak and helpless at the same time.  It was a joy to watch, and she deserves an award.

Nominees?  Okay...

Kelly MacDonald

Cate Blanchett

Emma Thompson

Anne Hathaway

Scarlett Johannson

Hmm...now what should I do?

Oh oh!  I know!  I'll make a list of movies I'm looking forward to seeing this year.

They are (loosely) in order of what I am most excited for...

***************************************

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug

Iron Man 3

The Hunger Games: Catching Fire

The Lone Ranger

The Great Gatsby

Monsters University

Despicable Me 2

Oz: The Great and Powerful

Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2

Thor: The Dark Worlds

Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters

Man of Steel

**********************************************

So there you have it!  My humble opinions on all this stupid stuff!  Pretty stupid, don't you think???

Official stupid Tally:  7

Hmm...felt like more when I was writing it.  Oh well.

8 comments:

  1. I have to disagree with you,(you knew this was coming)I absolutely LOVED Les Miserables!... But I feel your pain Kaycee, my favorite show is about to be replaced by march madness and I'm not too happy about it :( ~Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh, well, I knew it wasn't the movie for me when my final words at the end was, "Wait, Russell Crowe was the BAD guy???" But hey, I'm glad you and so many other people enjoy it. The story is intriguing and I will probably read the book someday. It was just all. the. SINGING!!! And the romance. Also, it doesn't help that I'm a huge Scarlet Pimpernel fan. In the Scarlet Pimpernel, the rebels in the French Revolution are the bad guys. In Les Mis, they were the good guys. It perplexes me beyond belief, it does...

    Anywho, I get so angry when something replaces my beloved TV show. I only watch like, one show that is actually on television and the Oscars just HAVE to be at the same time. Grr... Hey, did you watch the Les Mis cast performance for the Oscars? Even I think it was wonderful. All the actors and actresses came on and sang their individual parts from the "One Day More" song. It's pretty cool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Scarlet Pimpernel and Les Mis do not take place during the same time period in history. The Scarlet Pimpernel is set during the French Revolution in the 1790s, while Les Miserables is set during a different uprising in France in 1830-1832 during which an insurgent group led mostly by student societies unsuccessfully tried to overthrow the government. This uprising was brought about in response to a really awful economic decline and the poverty and conditions of the everyday people was really horrible. Hence the title of the play: Les Miserables (directly translated, "The Miserable Ones")

    The book is very good. But long.

    I am very sorry if the movie was your first introduction to this truly wonderful musical. I would recommend you watch the 25th Anniversary performance if you ever get the chance or have the inclination... then maybe you can just enjoy the music without thinking about it in "movie" terms. I'm with you on the Marius/Cosette romance, I never cared much for it... what I love is the beautiful redemption story. (Oh, you could totally watch the Liam Neeson version if you want the story sans the singing, though how you could not love the music is BEYOND me... I'm biased though...) :)

    I have heard that Russell Crowe did not do a good job portraying Javert as being a true villain. Which is sad. I am planning on seeing the movie when it comes to DVD... but I am prepared to be disappointed. :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohhh okay! That makes much more sense! At least I understand that part now! :)

    It wasn't the main songs that irritated me. I like the "One Day More," "Castle on a Cloud," and all the other songs. I don't know if the musicals do this, but the ENTIRE movie was sung. If the movie would have been like a normal musical, you know, with dialogue and then songs, I probably would have liked it MUCH more.

    I didn't really get why Javert was portrayed as the villain. Maybe the musicals are different, but in the movie it seemed like he was just doing his job. Perhaps he was a little too passionate about it, but he never really did anything horrible. I don't know if this is the writer's fault or Russell Crowe's, but something was wrong if Javert was truly the villain.

    And yes, I do truly like Jean Valjean. I love his redemption story too. I kind've lost respect for him at the end though when he refuses to tell Cosette his story. I mean seriously, all he did was steal bread! I get being ashamed and everything, but it's not like he murdered someone.

    This is all totally my personal opinion. I'm definitely in the minority when it comes to opinions on the Les Mis movie. Honestly, my main reason for not liking the movie is the fact that they sang all the dialogue. It ruined the drama for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I guess if musicals aren't your thing, I can see why you wouldn't like Les Mis. I liked Javert as a villain because he was technically right in what he was doing, but yet he was still the "bad guy." Story lines and characters that deviate from what is normal and expected really intrigue me... IF they can pull it off. However, I didn't really care for Crow's performance as Javert because his singing voice was a little weak, and he always had a sad, weak expression on his face, nothing like the stern, hard, justice-bent character I read about.

    Yes I did see the cast come out and sing at the Oscars! It was really awesome! I love that the actors sound the same live as they do in the movie! ~Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, the play is all sung. And I respect your opinion. I also love discussing stuff like this... so here are some of my discussion points :) feel free to disagree or continue the discussion or ignore me as you prefer!!!

    Javert is not really a villain, per se. He is more of an ... anti-hero. He is ValJean's foil.

    Again, I haven't seen the new movie, BUT, Javert is supposed to be the darkness to Valjean's light. He's really more of a tragic figure - especially from a Christian perspective. Where Valjean trusts in God, he knows he has done wrong, he knows he cannot make it right without God, and he understands that grace and forgiveness are his. In contrast, Javert is the rigid, dogmatic pharisee. His line is, "Men like you can never change, a man such as you." His world is black and white. Thieves and lawbreakers will Always be thieves and lawbreakers. The law is his All, and he is supposed to be portrayed as inflexible, unable to allow for forgiveness or mercy. His Stars solo is where you get to see his worldview. The law is his god. In his own mind, Valjean is "fallen from grace" while Javert truly believes, "But mine is the way of the Lord." When he talks about the stars "knowing their course and their aim" and "filling the darkness with order and light" that is the way he sees himself - he is the upholder of the law and thus fills a dark world with order and light. It is not just his "job," he has not gotten caught up in this chase... it is his duty, what he believes in.

    This is why his world spins out of control when Valjean, a thief, shows him mercy. It shatters Javert's foundation, and he cannot handle it. This is where you see the contrast between the two characters the most clearly: At the beginning of the play, Valjean's world is similarly shattered by the priest's forgiveness and he sings:"I am reaching, but I fall. and the night is closing in. as I stare into the void, to the whirlpool of my sin" and ends the song with: "Jean Valjean is nothing now, another story must begin!" He turns to God.

    When Javert's world is shattered, he turns to himself and finds he is not enough... his line is instead: "I am reaching... but I fall. And the stars are black and cold, as I stare into the void of a world that cannot hold. I'll escape now from that world, from the world of Jean Valjean. There is nowhere I can turn, there is no way to go on!" They both come to the same point, and they both make vastly different choices.

    Valjean does eventually tell Cosette his story, doesn't he? In the play he writes her a letter explaining everything right before he dies. He also doesn't want to burden her with his past, or have her look at him the way Javert looked at him (or the way everyone looked at him when he got out of prison on parole... remember he couldn't get work simply because he had to wear the yellow "I just got out of prison" card). And he does get a little stuck in the "I've been on the run your entire life" thing, but that's sort of understandable.

    Well, there's your "literature" discussion for the day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey, I love discussing this type of thing too! You've already helped raise my opinion of Les Mis by telling me about the different French uprisings.

    Okay, I'm glad you don't see him as a villain. It makes a LOT more sense thinking of Javert as a foil to Valjean. I was just a little confused because I've heard several people talk about how much they hate Javert and how horrible he is and everything. In the movie, I liked him in a pitying sort of way. So I'm glad it's "legal" to not think of him as a villain. :P

    I like your take on it too, Lauren. Javert was doing what is "legally" right while Valjean was "morally" right, thus putting them at odds. It's an interesting take on it. Personally, I prefer villains who are bad, but try to justify it with their own morality. But I still like the unique approach to Javert and Valjean.

    Yes, Valjean did give Cosette a letter right before he died. However, I don't exactly understand why he was willing to tell Marius, some kid he had only known for a few days/weeks (hard to tell in the movie) his story but not tell Cosette, his adopted daughter. On top of that, he just ran off and left her with Marius at first. I dunno, it just seemed a bit out of character to me. Valjean had been willing to stand before a court to save a man and condemn himself years before, and he had stood up to Javert, yet he could not face his daughter? Maybe that is what the author intended, but it seemed a bit out of place to me. I personally think the final scene would have been more emotional if Valjean had told her his story just before he dies instead of leaving it to a letter. But that's just my opinion.

    Not to open another can of worms, but I'd be interested to see what y'all think of Eponine. Personally, I didn't see that she played much importance to the story other than a sort-of foil to Cosette. She kind of irritated me with her angst and despair over some guy who doesn't know she exists. All she really did was save Marius from being shot.

    Well, I am certainly having a lot of fun with this. Hope y'all are too. I like seeing your opinions on this, and I also like having my mind changed. It doesn't happen very often, so it's pleasant when it does. :P I probably will never be a fan of Les Mis, but at least I might be able to respect the story. So thanks for taking the time to discuss this with me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Eponine... I love Eponine... probably because she seems like so much of a stronger character than Cosette.

    I'm not sure what her role is in the movie... in the play she is not just some girl Marius doesn't know exists... they are very good friends, he just doesn't see her as anything more than a friend (and is oblivious to her feelings). She becomes the "go-between" a little between Marius and Cosette, finding out where she lives (stalker, much?) and taking the note to Cosette when Marius decides to stay with his friends instead of following her - which is what gets her killed in the end.

    You're spot on calling her a foil to Cosette. Especially in light of their stories. Eponine was the actual daughter of the Thenardiers, (did they show that? and the doll thing?) anyway, she appears pampered and spoiled in her youth, while Cosette is unloved and forced to be a sort of "CInderella" - but Jean Valjean's intervention on Cosette's behalf saves her from that life and she spends the rest of her life beloved and cared for, while it appears that Eponine endures a steady decline of that sort of care. She is also a tragic figure, and a vision of what might have happened to Cosette (or worse) if God had not intervened in Valjean's life.

    ReplyDelete