Pages

Sunday, February 10, 2013

Music and Writing

I know a lot of people like to listen to music while they are writing.  I like listening to soundtracks like Lord of the Rings.  I don't typically listen to music with actual lyrics while I'm writing.

However, I do find myself drawn to certain songs while I am in the midst of writing the novel.  For instance, while writing "Hail Frost," I found this song to be my favorite.


Currently, I am editing "Ember Flame" and this is now my favorite song!  It's totally creepy because this song had not even come out when I wrote "Ember Flame" originally!  o_O

Gotta love Owl City!

It's interesting comparing the two songs though.  Both of them are, more or less, about finding out who you are.  I think discovering the person inside of you is one of the principal themes of the entire Leverage series.  But listen to the tune also.  "Embers", while perhaps a little melancholy  is bouncy and lively, while "My Own Worst Enemy" is harsh and desperate.  This reflects the feel of the two novels also.  I don't know.  Maybe I'm just being geeky about my own novels.  :P

So what about y'all?  And you found songs that remind you of your book?  Do you like writing to music?


1 comment:

  1. I don't know if any songs remind me of my book... maybe anything on my Celtic playlist :)

    But I do love listening to music while I write. Mostly I like to listen to Irish/Celtic instrumental CDs while I write... but if I hit really bad writer's block, I pull out my Christmas Songs... and that helps me get back on track. I don't know what it is about them... but they are my never-fail Writer's Block cure!

    ReplyDelete