Pages

Friday, March 8, 2013

Characters in Costumes!

I participated in the March Characters in Costumes challenge from Gillian Adam's blog.  It was a LOT of fun and really helped me get into my character's head.  So thank you Gillian for hosting this!  :)

The challenge for this month was to pick an accessory a character would likely have.  

I chose to do Valin, the villain from 'Hail Frost.'  (Warning: SPOILERS ahead!)

Valin is the mysterious explorer who replaces Sicreet as leader of the Pull. He keeps his past and motivations to himself.  All that is known about him is that he harbors a deep hatred towards the Leverage...and towards the Pull.

Valin's accessory is a blue shell found on the shore of Northern Barbaric.  It was found by a woman named Flin Front, who gave it to Valin as a token of her love for him.  He carved a hole in it and made it into a necklace.  But after Flin discovered Valin's occupation as an assassin, she ran from him.  Valin locked the necklace up and swore to never think of her again.


However, after Valin discoverd that Flin Front is really Flake Frost, one of the six Leverage, he retrieved his necklace again.  Angrily, he painted the Pull insignia in black ink upon the sky blue of the shell.  He wears the necklace to force himself to keep his goal in mind: Destroy the Leverage and further the Pull. 

Maybe though, he wears it to remind himself of the love Flake held for him, hoping against hope that she might love him again.


After losing the necklace during a hasty chase through his volcanic fortress, the shell is found by Hail Frost, Flake's brother.  He realizes that perhaps Valin is not the monster that he seems. 

Or perhaps he is far more cold-hearted than he and the other Leverage ever imagined. 

(END SPOILERS)

Well, there it is!  This was a REALLY fun project that helped me develop Valin's backstory.  I can't wait until the next challenge!  :)  I plan to post an excerpt involving Valin and Flake soon, so stay tuned! 

8 comments:

  1. Ooh! Sounds like you really were able to develop his backstory. That's so cool.

    And I definitely got chills reading that last part. "Or perhaps he is far more cold-hearted..." *shivers*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! This was a ton of fun and I am looking forward to the next contest. :)

      Delete
  2. WOW. You are a master. That is amazing! I want to read the book!

    ~Maria

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I hope 'Hail Frost' out on Amazon by June. :)

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. I would love to see what you would do for your characters...hint, hint... ;)

      Delete
  4. I like how you made the object more prominent in the story. Definitely a book I would read! Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It was not originally in the book, but I added it because it created depth in Valin. :)

      Delete