Pages

Thursday, April 4, 2013

But it's my birthday precious!

Yep.  It's my birthday today!  Virtual cake and flowers all around!

Seriously though, I don't usually do "Happy Birthday to me!" posts.  But since today is pretty special (I'm turning sixteen) I thought I'd compare my life, especially my writing life, to six years ago.  Ready?  Good!  Cuz I'm not!

 What I want to be when I grow up

At ten, I wanted to be president of the United States.  Correction, I wanted to be the FIRST female president of the United States.  I blame Disney.  They were the ones who said to dream big!

At sixteen, I want to be an author, a screenwriter, possibly a movie/TV director, and a missionary.  Much more better, don't you think?

My Favorite Movie

Hmm...I watched LOTR as a ten year old, but I think I saw them over the summer.  Probably 'Monsters Inc.'

Now?  'Lord of the Rings'.  Particularly  'Return of the King'.

My Role Models

Other than my parents and Jesus, who it would have been for both ages.  As a ten year old, I ADORED Joan of Arc (French Peasant girl who became a warrior) and also Anne Bonny and Mary Read (female pirates).  Fantastic I know.

And now it is George Washington (for his morality and courage), Robert E. Lee (for his discernment and loyalty), Corrie Ten Boom (for her faithfulness and heroism), and Caesar Augustus (for his cleverness and perseverence.  Let's just forget about the whole emperor/dictatorship thing, shall we? ;)  ). I think I've mellowed with age.  :P

My Favorite Books

At ten, 'The Hobbit', 'Ella Enchanted,' 'Beorn the Proud,' 'Treasure Island' and 'Alice in Wonderland.'

At sixteen, 'Lord of the Rings,' 'The Hobbit,' 'Count of Monte Cristo,' 'The Blood Ship,' and 'The Iliad.'

My Favorite Hobbies

When I was ten I enjoyed reading, swimming, watching 'Liberty's Kids,' doing my school, playing pretend with my friends, walking to the park, and dreaming up grand adventures.

As a sixteen year old, I enjoy reading, running, skeet shooting, pistol, archery, watching and critiquing movies, avoiding my schoolwork as Joel Osteen would a martyr, hanging with my friends, and writing grand adventures.  (Hmm...perhaps I've not mellowed with age...)

My Favorite Food

Peanut Butter.

Peanut Butter.

My Favorite Song

'Any Which Way' by PureNRG, I think...

'Me Without You' by tobyMac.

My Favorite Personal Belonging

A stick I found in a beaver's dam on my grandad's farm.  It was all gnawed and smooth so I never got a splinter from it!  That stick could become anything.  A staff, a (pretend) torch, Anduril, it was awesome!

Probably my laptop or hard-drive with all my stories on it.

Other Stuff

Now, to list things that have changed in the past six years.  Gosh, there's been a lot.  Let's start family wise...

Six years ago, two of my cousins did not exist.  Well, one existed but he would not have been born for another few months.  So in six years I got two awesomely adorable cousins!

Six years ago, my grandfather was still here on earth with us.

Six years ago, both of my maternal aunts and their families lived nearby.

Six years ago, we were still getting used to having Derby and had not even considered getting another doggy yet.  (Yes, Derby and Charlie are family!)

Now let's move on to more general topics.

Six years ago, I had no idea I would ever write a book.

Six years ago, I was a Christian who based my faith on how much 'good' things happened to me.  My world had not been shaken and I had never questioned whether my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ existed.

Six years ago, I had glasses, crooked teeth, frizzy hair and didn't give a rip.  (Now, I have contacts, straight teeth, frizzy hair and still don't give a rip!)  (Way to go from deep to superficial, Kaycee...)

Six years ago, I didn't really like the name 'Kaycee' because it is a gender neutral name.  Now, I love the name Kaycee...because it's a gender neutral name!  (plus...it looks cool.  Great for book covers!  XD)

Six years ago, my favorite Bible verse was Psalm 23: 6 'Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life.  And I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.'  I clearly did not understand that 'goodness' was a very different thing from 'good things.'  I am so glad that God has changed my heart.  I find it funny how, as ten year old, I completely ignored verses 4 and 5 from that passage....

My favorite Bible verses now are Galatians 5:1 'It is for freedom that Christ has set us free.  Stand firm then, and do not be burdened again by a yoke of slavery.' and Daniel 2: 20-23 'Praise be to the name of God for ever and ever, wisdom and power are his.  He changes times and seasons, he sets up kings and deposes them.  He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning.  He knows what lies in darkness and light dwells with him.  I thank and praise You, O God of my fathers.  You have given me wisdom and power.  You have made known to me what we have asked of us.  You have made known to us the dream of the king.'  :)

(I added the smiley.  That's not in the Bible.  Well, it might be in the Message Bible...)

Those are the things that have changed.  Here are some things that have stayed the same...

I'm still blessed with a rockin family.

I'm still blessed to be homeschooled.

I'm still blessed to live in a fantastic city.

I'm blessed with the best friends a girl could ever hope for.

I'm blessed with funny siblings.

I'm blessed with awesome parents.

I'm blessed with a group of friends that I can call family.

I'm blessed to have a family that overlooks embraces my little quirks and lets me be me.

I'm blessed with super cool relatives who live both nearby and far away.  Either way, they'll always be close to me.

I'm blessed with amazing grandparents.

I'm blessed to be a member of a church.

I'm blessed with a hilarious passel of cousins and aunts and uncles.

I'm blessed to have parents who look after me, but who let me go out on my own and try new things for myself.

I'm blessed with two savvy gal pals, one who is the queen of editors and the other who is queen of book covers.

I'm blessed with the two most adorable dogs in the world.

I'm blessed with people who are willing to take the time to edit, help, read, critique, and encourage me as I write my novels.

I'm blessed with the knowledge of what I want to do when I grow up.

I'm blessed by a God whose given me all these incredible blessings plus so many that I would crash the computer if I tried listing them all.  I don't know why God chose to bless me with so much.  I don't deserve them.  I also don't deserve to be allowed to call him Father, and Jesus my brother and friend, or the Holy Spirit my conscience.  I don't know why God has saved my life, and I don't know why He would ever want to use me for His purpose.  But he does, and I will be eternally grateful to him.  I know I can't do anything in my own strength, but through Jesus Christ I can accomplish anything and everything He wants me to.

Yeah.  I've had a pretty rockin sixteen years.  Be jealous!  :P

I wonder what I'll be doing when I'm thirty two...?  O_O

3 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday to you!
    Happy birthday to you!
    Happy birthday, dear Kaycee!
    Happy Birthday to you!!!!!

    Hope you have an absolutely awesome, funtastic birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey girl! So sorry I did not make it over here on your 16th. Hopefully me stopping by on the day of your party will suffice. Love the post. If you take out where you state you're 16, anyone reading this would think a 32, or 48, or older person wrote this!! I'd like to see what people 3x your age could write on all those topics. I'm so proud of you for focusing on the things God has given you (whether classified as "good" or "bad") as blessings. Continue to make this the focal part of your daily life and He will continue to use you for His glory! Love you!!

    ReplyDelete