Pages

Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Agents of SHIELD Pilot Review

Don't worry, I promise I'll get back to the Joker! I simply wanted to give a brief (HA!) post on my feelings regarding ABC's and Marvel's new drama "Agents of SHIELD."

Let's just make a list shall we? Perhaps then I won't ramble and end up chatting about pink bunny peeps dipped in chocolate. (Hmmm...gross....)



The Acting

Meh. No seriously, that's the best I can say about it. Meh. Clark Gregg (Phil Coulson) was incredible of course. He's a fantastic actor. She wasn't in very much, but Ming-Na Wen (Melinda May) seems to be an excellent actor as well. Brett Dalton (Grant Ward)played his character well enough. All the other actors ranged from tolerable to terrible.

The Plot

Let me begin by saying that I have never liked the idea of Coulson coming back to life. Don't get me wrong, I love Coulson. I sobbed at his death the first two times I saw The Avengers. (Mean old Loki!) But that is exactly why the idea of him coming back bugged me. It felt like "cheating" somehow, like his return cheapened the affect of his death and making the awesomesauce of the Avengers moot.

Well, after watching the episode last night, I still don't like it. But I am mildly curious to see how they explain it. The Pilot sets the explanation up to either be incredibly awesome or seriously disappointing. It could go either way.

That's about my feelings towards the rest of the plot as well. It could either be incredibly, or lame, depending on if they can get the majority of their actors to shape up and if the writing quality can be bumped up a notch.

The Connection to the Marvel Movies

I would get really excited whenever they would mention a reference I understood during the Pilot. (Dr. Erskine, Extremis, the "New Mexico incident", etc.) However, I also found myself expecting the Avengers to show up somehow. It felt so much like a Marvel movie, that it felt weird without there being any real superhero.

Overall Impression

It was good, but not super. Most TV shows can get by with just "good." But with the connection to The Avengers...I don't know. I'd like to see if ABC and Marvel can pull it off. If they can, it could possibly be an AMAZING show. If they can't, I won't be surprised, which is kinda sad.

Either way, I certainly hope it becomes good. I just don't know if the connection to the Avengers will help or hurt in the long run. Even though the title clearly says that this is about the agents of SHIELD, not the superheroes, I still couldn't help but be a little disappointed when the episode ended last night and not a superhero was in sight.

2 comments:

  1. But it's not ABOUT super-heroes. It's about regular people who have to deal with living in a world that contains superheroes. :)

    Seriously though, I know it didn't have the most awesome opener (well, it was awesome if you're familiar with any other Joss Whedon shows, which I'm pretty sure you aren't) LOL But, I have extremely high hopes for this show... as a bit of a Whedon-fan-girl... I just want it to succeed rather a lot. :) SQUEAL!!!!! :) hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like there MAY be superhero appearances... but that the main premise of the show is that you don't have to be a superhero in order to make a difference.
    http://www.esquire.com/blogs/culture/agents-of-shield-back-story-0913?src=spr_TWITTER&spr_id=1456_24394235

    ReplyDelete