Pages

Friday, September 20, 2013

Characters in Costume- Maybelle

Yay! 'Characters in Costume' is back!

This month, the awesome Gillian Adams challenged us to dress up like an "obstacle character."

I'l be honest, I had no idea what an obstacle character was until I agreed to do this challenge. An obstacle character is basically a character that causes obstacles for the protagonist but is not the villain. An obstacle character could be a villain's henchman, a random thief who steals something valuable, or even the hero's best friend.

It was really fun to think about what obstacle character to use since it really could be any character. However, I felt that Maybelle best fit the description.



Maybelle is an upcoming character in my novel 'Flake Frost' which I will write during NaNoWriMo this year. She is a foil to Flake, the heroine, and has probably the most dramatic character change throughout the novel.

Maybelle was born as princess of Finsik, one of the largest countries in Holdinus. Her parents loved her very much and were excited to raise her as the future queen of Finsik. However, when Maybelle was two, the Pull conquered the world and subjugated it under a unified dictatorship. Maybelle's parents, like Flake's, were murdered.

Her parents had foreseen this and had sent her into the cold mountains of Finsik to be raised like a peasant. Her adoptive family loved her, but they always told Maybelle stories and tales of her kind and heroic parents, hoping one day Maybelle would help defeat the Pull and return Finsik to it's former glory.

Maybelle, however, was never all that interested. The Pull never truly bothered her, and she didn't like the idea of starting a war or killing anybody. To her adoptive parents horror, Maybelle agrees to marry Valin, the current Lord of the Pull, who is trying to soften his citizens to a dictator by marrying a former princess.

Through a strange twist of fate, Maybelle ends up having to travel through a mystical realm called the Tapestries with Flake Frost, Valin's ex-fiance, who left him because of his cruel and heartless deeds. Flake immediately berates Maybelle for her grand ideas of "reforming" Valin. Maybelle points out that Flake never tried to reform him. She just left like a coward.

Yeeeeah, they're pretty much best buddies after that. :/



The mountains of Finsik are freezing, so Maybelle typically wears warm leggings, sweaters, and boots. She might seem a bit of a tomboy to the more "noble" society, but she was raised to be strong. She might not seem like a very fashion conscientious person either, but she just has her own styles (that usually involve floppy hats...).

This character in costume was really fun, especially because I've never actually written Maybelle. I don't want to give away too many spoilers, but she and Flake change each other in very drastic ways throughout the novel. Maybelle morphs from a country-ish dreamer into a rather cynical lady, while Flake changes from a despairing wanderer to a confident Leverage.

I hope Maybelle doesn't stay cynical and uncaring. I've kinda gotten attached to her snappy rural attitude. And I think Valin will too...guess I won't know until I write the story! When is November here???

Thank you so much Gillian for hosting this challenge! It was so much fun! :)

P.S. If you want to find out more about Valin, here is the Characters in Costume I did for him back in March. :) http://thepinkcave.blogspot.com/2013/03/characters-in-costumes.html


5 comments:

  1. Maybelle sounds like an awesome character and I'd love to read the whole story!
    Emma starsandwriting.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Glad you like her! :)

      The first novel in the series she is in will be published within a week, so I'm pretty excited! :)

      I checked out your blog and your novel sounds AWESOME! Flying worm things? Epic. Good luck with it! :)

      Delete
  2. I really love those boots!! And the sweater!! I love yellow, and would really like to add more yellow clothes to my wardrobe!
    -
    Ruth Newton

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, thanks! I found the boots at Kohls for fairly cheap, and I don't remember where I got the sweater. Yellow is one of my favorite colors too! :)

      Delete
    2. Its so funny how in your first picture your expression is like "Act like a lady" then your second one is "Think like a boss." :)

      -
      Ruth Newton

      Delete