Pages

Friday, January 24, 2014

Interview with Kamarie!


Hello everyone! Happy Friday! Today, I have the privilege to interview Kamarie from Jenelle Schmidt's epic novel 'King's Warrior'! This interview is part of the author's month-long book release and cover reveal party! 'Second Son', the prequel to 'King's Warrior', is coming out soon and trust me, it is going to be awesome!

(Sorry for all the exclamation points. I'm just so excited!)

Astrid Berges-Frisbey, who I think looks a lot like Kamarie

Kaycee: Hi Kamarie! Thank you for joining me for this interview. Ember and I are huge fans.


Kamarie: Aww, thanks for having me! Jenelle and I are big fans of Ember, too.


Kaycee: What are some of your hobbies or activities you enjoy?


Kamarie: I enjoy riding my horse, Tor, and archery. I also enjoy fencing, but I’m better with a bow and arrow. I like tracking, solving puzzles, and playing the occasional game of Karradoc. I also like just being outside and exploring my country.


Kaycee: What was life like for you before the events in 'King's Warrior' began?


Kamarie: It was pretty boring, really, looking back. I think that’s why I first approached Garen and asked him to train me. He didn’t like the idea at first, but I pestered him for weeks until one day he finally gave in. I never did find out what made him change his mind. Hmmm. I’ll have to ask him about that sometime.

Anyway, I had my lessons. My parents hired tutors to teach me about etiquette and politics, but my parents also took the time to teach some of my lessons. They have always been very involved in my life and my schooling, not like some princesses you read about. I think that’s why they trust me so much, they really know me. (Except for the squire training, at least... well, until the end of King’s Warrior, when everyone found out).

I also spent a lot of time just riding my horse and exploring the beach and the Aura Wood, and reading books. I love books. I don’t have a lot of time to just spend reading, but I do enjoy it.


Kaycee: Can you tell us a bit about 'King's Warrior'?


Kamarie: Of course! Our country is being threatened by invaders, and my father, the king, sends me on a very important mission. At first I thought he was just trying to protect me and keep me away from the battle, but then he explained how important Brant could be to the outcome of the war, so I agreed to take the mission. 

Of course, it would have been more fun if I could have gone on my own, but Father insisted on sending my maid, Darby, and this squire, Oraeyn along. I thought they were going to be complete bores and prevent us from having any adventures at all, but they really turned out to be excellent companions.

We actually find Brant pretty quickly, only to realize that there’s a lot more for us to do before our quest is complete. It’s pretty exciting. We have to dodge enemies, meet the king of the dragons, and travel to the Harshlands (which pretty much lived up to their name).


Kaycee: What do you think was the most important thing you learned on your adventure?


Kamarie: I learned so much on that adventure. The most important thing I think I learned was that I can’t do everything on my own, and I have to learn how to accept help. But I also learned that battles and killing aren’t as exciting as they sound in storybooks, and that peace is far preferable to war. I also learned a lot about myself and my family that I didn’t know before.


Kaycee: 'Being more than you seem' is a major theme throughout 'King's Warrior' and applies to nearly every character. How does it apply to you?


Kamarie: Well, I guess it applies more to how people saw me at the beginning of the story. I’m not really all that special. I don’t have any powers or magic that I know of. But Oraeyn kind of saw me as a spoiled brat at first, and thought I was just this pampered princess who didn’t know anything about real life. And, I’ll admit, I didn’t do a lot at the beginning that would have changed his perspective, and I was so sure he was going to keep us from having any adventures that I wasn’t really very nice to him at first. I really regret that, because that’s not who I am at all. I really care about my people and I don’t think I’m in any way better than them just because I’m a princess. I want to serve my people protect them in any way I can. They are the true strength and beauty of our country.

I think Darby, and even Brant and my parents to some extent, saw me as someone who really needed protection, and as kind of helpless and delicate, but I’m a lot stronger and more capable than I seem. I feel that for me, the story was more about “proving my worth” and proving to myself what I am capable of, than being more than I seem. Or maybe that’s just a different way of saying the same thing.


Kaycee: Let's talk about Brant. What did you first think of him? What do you think now?


Kamarie: Wow. I wasn’t sure what to think. Nobody would really tell me anything about him, and then he was so quiet and unwilling to answer any of my questions. I wasn’t even sure it was right to trust him. To be honest, he kind of drove me a little crazy. All that mystery and silence. He barely ever said anything, and when he did, most of the time it didn’t make sense or felt like he had just handed me a puzzle to solve.

But in the end, he didn’t need words to prove his loyalty and his worthiness. His actions spoke volumes about who he is as a person. He is definitely one of my heroes and I’d trust him with my life.


Kaycee: Are you in 'Second Son'? Can you tell us anything about it?


Kamarie: I make a very small appearance in Second Son, but I’m just a baby. Most of the story occurs before my birth and tells the back story about who Brant is and where he came from. It also tells the story of my father and how he became King of Aom-igh and how he and Brant met.


Kaycee: One more question. This one's from Ember. She threw a fit when I told her she could not join the interview, but I got her to calm down by promising that I would ask you one question from her. She wrote it here on this...piece of tree bark. *sighs* Let's see... "Do you and Oraeyn like each other? Do you get married? You'd better! I totally ship it! I don't like it when my ships sink grrr!" Please don't feel inclined to answer that.


Kamarie: Haha, oh, I like Ember. I think we’d be good friends. 

*blushes* Well, I can’t go giving away Book Three information when Second Son isn’t even out yet, my author might just kill me off if I did that, but I can tell you that I do think very highly of Oraeyn. Especially after how brave and loyal he proved to be on our adventure in King’s Warrior. And, it doesn’t hurt that he’s really very handsome.


Kaycee: Hmm...interesting. *tries to control fangirl urge to giggle* Thanks again for joining us, Kamarie! It's been a pleasure!


Kamarie: Thank you so much for having me!

***

Click HERE to go Jenelle Schmidt's website!

Click HERE to read an excerpt from 'Second Son'!

And finally, click HERE to learn more about 'King's Warrior'!

***

I hope y'all enjoyed the interview as much as I did! Look for a review of 'King's Warrior' soon! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment