I don't usually do posts like these, but I really do have some issues I would like some outside input on.
I'm getting close to beginning the rough draft of Story D. I've outlined a lot more than usual because I don't want to have the problem I'm currently working on with 'Hail Frost' (jumbled story and plot twists due to NaNoWriMo deadlines), so it's taken me nearly a month to outline and plan everything nicely, while still giving me plenty of room for improvising.
I just have a few questions that I need answered by different people. I know what I believe about each of these questions (except number 5, as you'll see), but I'm interested in your opinion. If you have the time, I would really appreciate it if you could answer at least one of the questions in the comment section. :)
1. Where do you think racism comes from? How does it happen?
2. What do you think is the best way to try to get rid of racism? (Speeches, just waiting it out, politics, etc.)
3. What gives more liability to racism: Christianity, other religions, or evolution? (Like, which one makes it easier to rationalize being a racist)
4. My pastor made an interesting point in church the other day. He said that many white people say they want a multi-cultural church, but really all they want is people of different skin tones to act like white people. They want a multi-colored church, not multi-cultural. Do you think this is true of churches or not? (I don't know about entire churches, but I found myself convicted. I've NEVER been a racist, but I found that quietly thinking other people were "odd" because they worship a differently than I do is in itself a form of racism or pride.)
5. This one is for any Northern peeps reading this. The novel I am working on is a fantasy and one of the countries is based on the South. I'm quite Southern, so I've just infused that into the country and it is very dynamic and interesting. However, there is another country based on the North, but I ran into a slight problem....I know next to nothing about the North! So if y'all could tell me a bit about it, I would be happier than a ladybug taking a bath in the Mississippi on a hot summer day. Ahem.
In all seriousness, what are some quirks or mannerisms that you have? What type of food do you like in general? How is wording different? (e.g. "y'all" and "you guys") Do you think you dress differently than Southerners or about the same? How do you feel about Southern people? (Be honest, I promise I won't get offended! :P) What do you think of the weather? What would you say are some of the best and worst things about the North? Any other tidbits or info you could share would be awesome! I get frustrated when the South is portrayed inaccurately, and I would hate to be the cause of the same frustration to someone else.
Thank you so much! Y'all are awesome!
*And no, this is NOT a fantasy about the War Between the States. It's based on cowboy westerns which have a lot of different types of Americans because they were all moving west. The real reason I invented the Southern country was because Dacey-Ellis displayed very Southern tendencies and diction, so I thought I should be fair and make a Northern country too. :)