Pages

Wednesday, February 12, 2014

I wish I was a "together" author...

...but I think I'm more of the "completely discombobulated all-over-the-place brainless" type.



No seriously. November was three months ago, and I've written only about 6,000 more words on Flake Frost. It's not that I've not been writing. But every time I go to write, I spend precious time having to look back at 'Ember Flame' and 'Hail Frost' while struggling to remember all the things that I have planned to edit on 'Hail Frost'. I discovered early on that it is nearly impossible (for me) to edit plot and character in a novel without writing the sequel. That is probably why 'Ember Flame' took so long. I had to write 'Hail Frost' so I had a basic idea of what was going to happen next.

Even as I wrote 'Hail Frost', I knew the story had a lot of issues. Lots of good stuff, but lots of issues too. I was okay with it. I just kept a notebook of things that would have to change to make it a better story. I figured I would fix it all after I wrote 'Flake Frost' because it would be easier.

Well, writing 'Flake Frost' has certainly helped me know where the characters and story are going, but now I can't finish 'Flake Frost' without getting 'Hail Frost' completely straightened out.

When I say 'Hail Frost' needs a lot of work, I mean I'm about to cut characters, add characters, change complete plot points, adjust world-building, and possibly even change the climax. I've heard this is a typical rough-draft editing load, but it's still overwhelming to me.

or while editing...

To attempt to land my turbulent rant, basically, I'm not writing Flake Frost any more and I am instead focusing on editing 'Hail Frost'. I doubt I'll continue writing the rough draft of 'Flake Frost' until after 'Hail Frost' is published. It's not so bad. I think I only have about 20,000 more words on 'Flake Frost', and I'm about to write the 'Black Moment' which could also be called 'The beginning of the end' so that should be pretty high-energy and easy to write once I understand what actually happened in 'Hail Frost'.

But here's the problem. I like editing (sometimes), I really do. But I need to write something at the same time. I have trouble focusing on important things like schoolwork, time management, and not turning into an angry hermit with social issues when I am not writing anything. So I need to write something.

Short stories are over too soon. Fanfiction, while fun, does not motivate me as much and I quickly lose interest. So I need to write a novel.

'Flake Frost' is impossible, which instantly makes anything that comes after it impossible. So what then?

The other night we were watching 'Tombstone', a movie that has long been one of my dad's favorites, and is now one of mine. Suddenly, while watching it, a brand new world and story just popped into my head.

I was a bit wary at first. Ideas that come while watching movies usually cannot be trusted. But after some re-imagining and thought...it actually will work. And it's a standalone novel, so I don't have to worry about writing two series at once. I'm pretty excited.

So, to summarize this long and boring post: 'Flake Frost' is on hold, editing for 'Hail Frost' has begun, and the outlining for a brand new novel has also begun! Hurrah! I'll tell more about the new novel once I actually start writing it.

2 comments:

  1. Usually I like to let my writing 'ripen' once I finish a book, give it some time so that I can come back and edit it with more alertness and ideas. During this time I thought I could go back and edit other books. But with this one I am working on, I just can't leave it! I must finish it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that term- 'ripen'. I've never thought about it like that, but it fits the strange, writer-y phenomenon perfectly. And I totally understand. Sometimes, I'm just way too excited about a novel to leave it alone, even though I know I probably should. :)

    ReplyDelete