Pages

Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Songs and Writing

I don't typically write to music. Songs with lyrics tend to distract me, and I've found that writing to soundtracks-while fun- often causes me to copy the movie the sound track went with! (I once wrote an entire scene in 'Hail Frost' that I thought was genius. Turns out it was, because it was almost word for word something that happened in Once Upon a Time.) 

OH YEAH! Rabbit trail! Once Upon a Time is FINALLY back on and people, I am LOVING it! (Even though there was no Rumple in the last episode. Hmph.) The parallels between the second half of the third season and the entire first season are EPIC. I can NOT wait for it to continue. (Sorry for all the capitalization and parenthesis. What can I say? Fangirl!)

Ahem. ANYWAY, I do use music for something a bit odd, but interesting, when I write. I make playlists on Spotify of songs that are both soundtrack songs and lyric songs. I listen to those while I'm doing chores, cleaning my room, doing school, etc. because it helps me prepare to write. I don't know if anyone else does this, but it really helps me. So I thought I'd share some of my favorites from my Leverage series playlists.

Each one of the novels tends to have "a" song that just fits the entire book.

'Embers' by Owl City- Ember Flame



Everything about this song is utterly perfect for 'Ember Flame'. The theme of discovering who you are, uniting, igniting into a flame, everything. And the line "yeah, the coals are beginning to glow" makes me shiver. Plus, the tune and beat just seem to fit Ember Flame. It's bouncy and fun, but still a little serious.

'One Day Too Late' by Skillet- Hail Frost



'Madness in Me' by Skillet would also work (and is on the playlist), but 'One Day Too Late' is far more hopeful than 'Madness in Me' which fits the overall book, and Hail's character, much better. Hail Frost is definitely the darkest in the trilogy and the music reflects that. And Hail has to learn to conquer his past, which the song addresses.

'Rescue Me' by Kerrie Roberts- Flake Frost



I don't want to spoil anything, but by Flake Frost nearly all the characters have figured out that the only person who can truly save them is Elethor (God). Plus, there's a theme in Flake Frost about forgetting the past so I think it's cool that this song mentions that. Flake Frost is not as tense as Hail Frost, but it's not as bouncy as Ember Flame. It's somewhere in the middle and I think this song shows that well.

Here's a list of some of the other songs on the playlists if you are looking for songs. :)

Ember Flame

All This Time -Britt Nicole
City on a Hill- Casting Crowns
Me Without You- TobyMac
Concerning Hobbits- LOTR (Fellowship of the Ring) soundtrack
Ever Ever After- Carie Underwood
I See The Light- Mandy Moore and Zachery Levi (Tangled soundtrack)
He's a Pirate- Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl soundtrack
Eyes Open- Taylor Swift
I'm the Doctor- Doctor Who soundtrack
Amazing Grace- Chris Tomlin

Hail Frost

Hero- Skillet
Joker theme- The Dark Knight soundtrack
The Hanging Tree- written by Suzanne Collins sung by Adrisaurus (YouTube)
Ignition- TobyMac
Madness in Me- Skillet
The Medallion Calls- Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl soundtrack
Gollum's Song- LOTR (The Two Towers) soundtrack
Not Gonna Die- Skillet
In Christ Alone- Owl City
My Own Worst Enemy- Casting Crowns

Flake Frost

Silhouette- Owl City
Vanilla Twilight- Owl City
Beautiful Cruel World- Adrisaurus
Once Upon a Time orchestral suite- Once Upon a Time season 1 soundtrack
Already There- Casting Crowns
Let It Go- Demi Lovato ( I MUCH prefer the Idina Menzel version, but the Demi Lovato lyrics fit better)
May It Be- Enya (Fellowship of the Ring soundtrack)
In Dreams- Return of the King soundtrack
Safe- Britt Nicole
Safe and Sound- Taylor Swift

I don't know if this will help anybody, but I felt like I should do a blog post and my brain is so fried you could put it on a plate and eat with some sweet tea. (Okay...that's so not a cool image. But seriously, I can't think right now). This was the only blog post I could come up with at the moment! Cut me some slack though, I just went to a college fair and I'm very introverted. I had to talk to all these people who were very nice but also very exhausting. I'm such an introvert. So now I'm hiding in my room listening to music to calm myself down and this post idea popped in my head. Now I'm rambling. I'm going to shut up now and let y'all carry on with your lives...



4 comments:

  1. I love listening to soundtracks while writing, and I find the piano guys helpful as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The piano guys...are they the ones who did that 'Let it Go"/Vivaldi cover on YouTube? If so, they are awesome! :)

      Delete
  2. This is such a cool idea, to have songs that capture the themes of your book. You have some really good choices on here (like In Christ Alone, May it Be, and more). I really like the song “Born for This” by Mandisa that captures some of what a character in my novel idea is feeling.
    -
    Ruth Newton

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mandisa is awesome! I like her too!

      Delete