Pages

Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Randomness and Movies...what else is new?

So this is awkward. It's been awhile....again.

Again, I am sorry for the lapse in blog posts. Life always gets hectic around this time of year. I wish I could promise to be more consistent, but I don't know if that can happen until at least May. It's rather overwhelming. I have the ACT on Saturday (AHHHHHHHH), AP English in May, and then the SAT in June, not to mention just the craziness of finishing the schoolyear. And colleges. Gosh, I wish I could just know what college I'm going to and get it over with!

Okay, now that I have officially dropped all of my angst on y'all...I can try to be a bit calmer..

The movie God's Not Dead is incredibly awesome! I was surprised at how good it was. I admit, I walked into the theater expecting it to be just a "Christian film". You know, nice, trite, bad acting, bad writing, cliche, boring... I was very pleasantly surprised. The story was fascinating and compelling, the acting was great, the writing was cool, it was serious, funny, poignant, subtle, and powerful all at once. If you have not seen it yet, I highly suggest going to see it in theaters to support the makers of it. It is well worth the money!

Another movie well-worth the money is Captain America: The Winter Soldier. This movie was absolutely incredible. Definitely the best one I've seen this year, and will probably remain the best movie of this year to me. The only thing that could possibly beat it in my estimation is Mockingjay Part 1 and maybe The Guardians of the Galaxy. I doubt it though, even though both of those movies are gonna be epic.

Some people are calling The Winter Soldier the "Dark Knight" of the Marvel movies. I'm not quite sure what I think of that analogy. The Winter Soldier is, in my opinion, the best Marvel movie made to date. (Yes...it's a better movie than the Avengers. I still like the Avengers better though because it's funnier and more fun. And hellooo, Loki and Iron Man.) Captain America has the most intriguing and complex story and character arc of the Marvel movies. I also like the grittiness of Captain America movies. Each superhero seems to have a feel that comes with it...Thor movies are hilarious, Iron Man movies are witty, and Captain America movies seem to be the most realistic and gritty. I like it.

Are y'all excited about any movies this year? Honestly, I'm looking forward to 2015 more than I am to the rest of this year. I'm excited for Mockingjay Part 1, Guardians of the Galaxy, and The Amazing Spider-Man 2. I'm tentatively excited for Maleficent as well. If the writing is as well-done as the spectacle and special effects it will be awesome. If it's not... it will simply be a repeat of Snow White and the Huntsman (the WORST movie I've ever seen in my life). But 2015 is going to have Avengers: Age of Ultron, Antman, Fantastic Four, Mockingjay Part 2, Cinderella, and last but most certainly not least Star Wars Episode VII. There's been rumors of the next Star Trek movie coming out then too...

So...I have complained about my school-life and given you a movie rundown that you totally wanted to read...what other boring subject can I curse this blog post with?

Right! Updates! Everybody loves to read updates!

Most of my writing time is spent editing Hail Frost. I don't know what I did to tick Hail off, but this book is being so difficult. Is it just me, or is the first edit the hardest??? I have all these continuity issues to work through, so I'm mostly re-writing entire scenes. I keep having to tell myself that it will get better once I get to the second edit, but it's hard to focus on that when I'm drowning in a sea of unending, tedious plot problems and stubborn characters.

Hopefully, Hail Frost will be published in October. My friend May said she'll design the cover in the summer. I'm totes excited!!!

Story D is on hold until summer, when I can relax by the pool and work on it while tanning and drinking sweet tea and lemonade and talking with my friends and smelling the smoke rising from my backyard where I will be incinerating all of my schoolbooks...

Oh yeah, and I also turned seventeen. As my also-seventeen-year-old friend put it today, "Cool! Now we're both ancient!"

I also studied the urinary tract in anatomy today. Just thought you'd like to know. : /

4 comments:

  1. You left The Hobbit off your list. :( There's also How To Train Your Dragon 2... which I am SO excited about. And The Giver... which I am tentatively hopeful about... jury's still out on that one.

    By the by, your family would LOVE Saving Mr. Banks, if you haven't seen it, drop everything and Redbox it, NOW (or, you know, wait until the weekend). Best movie I've seen in a loooooong time. Definitely a tear-jerker though. And absolutely beautiful. Reminded me of Dreamer a bit.

    Yes, first edit IS the hardest. Yorien's Hand was giving me fits. Then Derek and I chatted about it, and I realized there's a whole part of the story I haven't even written yet, and that's part of the problem. Sigh. Hopefully it will be better for the additions though.

    I think I'm glad I never took anatomy...... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes, the Urinary Tract.... You forgot to mention the whole "Can you drink your own pee?" discussion though :P **Shudder**

    ReplyDelete
  3. I must say I was impressed with God’s Not Dead as well. There were a lot of characters, but you still got to know a lot about them. (And the song was amazing)

    I so want to see Captain America: The Winter Soldier!

    Congratulations on turning 17!

    I’m excited to read Hail Frost! He’s such a cool, mysterious character!

    Apologies for the rambling nature of this comment. :)

    -
    Ruth Newton

    ReplyDelete
  4. HAIL!!!! I wantsss that book. Sometimes I stalk your blog just to see if it is out yet.

    I am hoping to see both Captain America and God's Not Dead soon. But I don't think it will happen as soon as I want.
    And I am REALLY excited for Guardians of the Galaxy. I'm hoping to drag my friends to it. It looks like it is going to be a fun and insanely ridiculous movie. (But in a good way.)

    And...you kind of lost me at Hail. Also I have to go and edit....so, you know.

    Bye!

    ReplyDelete