Pages

Wednesday, February 25, 2015

20 Times Stories Have Made Me Cry

I'm bored, and angsty, and I just finished watching all 5 series of BBC Merlin (WHHHYYYY???) so I've decided to make this post. I'm not going to try and dig into why these moments made me cry, I'm just gonna list them in no particular order. Just a note, I am not a sobby kinda person. Honestly, I cry more about fiction than I do about reality. Maybe that's testimony to the fact that I have a really good life, or maybe I'm just a weirdo, I don't know. Just thought I'd mention that. Savvy? (Warning: fangirling and SPOILERS for lots of different movies, books, and TV shows ahead)

1. Doctor Who: Doomsday.



I cried during the episode and then cried about ten minutes after it ended and then I cried again when I watched it for the second time. So heartbreakingly beautiful.

2. "I can't carry it for you. But I can carry you!" The Return of the King.



It gets me every time.

3. The Prince's Tale: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.



I had to put the book down to cry after finishing that chapter. When I managed to stop crying...

4. Chapter 34: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows



It's like J.K. Rowling punched me in the stomach and then kneed me in the face with a boxing glove made out of feels.

5. Into The West: Return of the King



I cry every time I hear that song. Why I bought it on my phone and then added it to my 'driving the car' playlist and then actually play that playlist is beyond me. It makes driving rather difficult.

6. "Because you are my friend." Star Trek Into Darkness



Every. Time.

7. Sign of Three ending: Sherlock



I was crying happy tears and then it turned into ugly sobbing.

8. Meg's death in BBC Robin Hood.



GUUUUYYYYYY WHHHYYYYY

9 Freya's death in BBC Merlin



MERRRRLLLIIINNNNN WHHHHYYYYY (BBC is painful y'all.)

10. The ending of BBC Merlin



I dreaded that ending from the beginning. Ugh.

11. "You were fantastic. Absolutely fantastic. And you know what? So was I!"



YOU WERE MY FIRST DOCTOR I LOVE YOU DON'T GO NOOO

12 "I don't wanna go."



YOU WERE MY FAVORITE DOCTOR I LOVE YOU DON'T GO NOOO

13. "Well, I'm back."



I cried after I finished reading Lord of the Rings. The ending was bittersweet in itself, but it felt almost like I had lost a home. There was no more Middle-Earth to explore... until I found The Silmarillion, that is!

14. Jack giving up immortality to save Will.



Sniffle.

15. Do You Wanna Build a Snowman?



Need I go on?

16. "I love you." "I know."



It wasn't the romance part of this that made me cry, it was the fact that I was this little nine year old and I seriously thought my favorite character was about to die. Come to think of it, this might have been the first time I ever cried during a movie.

17. Belle in the season 1 finale of Once Upon a Time



If only the show could have stayed as good as this... <_<

18. "Look at me."


The book hurt. The movie was worse. Probably because I truly knew this character when I watched the movie, whereas in the book at this point, I didn't.

19. Eowyn and Faramir.



These are happy. I cry happy tears for them. Heart.

20. Mistborn: The Hero of Ages ending.



All of you people need to seriously read the Mistborn series (if you are older than 15) so then I won't be the only one threatened with the possibility of losing my eyesight due to incessant crying because of the sweet, beautiful, heart-wrenching, unforeseen, amazing, terrible, symbolic ending okay.

Well, if you made it through this post, I tip my hat to you. Have you cried at any of these moments? Any story moments I didn't mention that you cried at? Why do you think these specific make people cry? I might have to do some thinking on that last question. Maybe I'll write a post on it if I ever come up with an answer better than "because of feeeeeels!". :P

On Sunday I'll be posting my next Myers-Briggs post. I'm super excited about this one!


20 comments:

  1. I love it when people cry during a story, it means the characters have been well loved and the scenes were skillfully made. I only wish I can make someone cry that way, someday. As for me, *throws back shoulders* I never cry...*drops gaze*...I just feel as I've been kicked with steel toed boots and mope about.

    "There's a grief that can't be spoken. There's a pain goes on and on."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Kicked with steel toed boots" I like that simile. I get that simile. ;)

      Delete
  2. I agree with almost every single one of these. Although, I must admit that the Eleventh Doctor was my favorite: I love his relationship with the Ponds. And Star Trek Into Darkness? Oh my. You knew the whole time how it was supposed to happen and then it didn't happen that way, it happened so much better, I mean, worse! The hardest scene for me in LOTR was when Eomer found Eowyn on the battlefield...and when Frodo sent Sam away in Mordor? That one was rough too--and what girl didn't cry when Han Solo got frozen?! I mean, he is HAN SOLO!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I have cried many a time with the Eleventh Doctor as well! I just haven't finished his series' yet.

      Oh my goodness, I had completely forgotten about the Eomer/Eowyn scene you mentioned! Bawled my eyes out. Lord of the Rings is basically a never-ending cry fest for me, except when Pippin and Merry or Legolas and Gimli are on the screen. :)

      Delete
  3. These were all super emotional scenes. Especially the Star Trek scene. I've always found war movies to be really sad too.

    -
    Ruth Newton

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, war movies are so sad. The Patriot and War Horse both come to mind.

      Delete
    2. I love both of those movies! (Love them through the sadness)

      Delete
  4. I cry more about fiction than reality, too. We can be weird together.

    Of the ones I've seen/read on your list, I totally agree. I also cried at the sad part of Bridge to Terabithia, both the movie and the book (book, every time). The end of Serenity... oh my. So many books and movies... I may have to steal this post idea and use it with my own list at a later date. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I, sadly, have not seen the movie version of Bridge to Terebithia, but the book had me crying so hard. I read it when I was 10 or 11. That might have been the first book I read where one of the main characters dies. :'(

      Delete
    2. And I would LOVE to read your list!

      Delete
    3. Ooh, you can borrow Bridge to Terabithia if you want when you come babysit this Friday!

      Delete
    4. Yay! That'd be awesome! :D

      Delete
  5. Would love to hear of fictional moments that have made you laugh, as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohh, that's a great idea! It sounds like a lot more fun than this post too! :P

      Delete
  6. Yes! Yes to almost every single one these! Especially the LOTR ones and the Harry Potter ones and the BBC Merlin ones and the OUAT one... Some series are just too awesome. *dies from feels all over again*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most definitely! I love it when a series can make me cry, and the four that you mentioned have certainly done that to me on many occasions! :)

      Delete
  7. #2, Sam, ugh, that scene gets me EVERY TIME! Meg's death, ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!?! I tell you what though, I cried, ugly cried, at the end of BBC's Robin Hood, me and my brother both. We were gasping for air. It was devastating and amazing all at once.

    http://alivemasterpiece.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find myself crying over friendships much more than I do over romances. Maybe that's why Sam and Frodo have me sobbing every time I see them trudging up Mount Doom.

      I don't remember what I did at the end of Robin Hood, but I DO remember sobbing after the end of series 2 of Robin Hood. Marian!!!!!! :'( Devastating and amazing... a very good way to describe it!

      Delete
  8. I don't usually cry over movies, but, boy, you've got some doozies here. Very emotional, the lot of them. Like you, I get more emotional over friendships more than I do romances, so The Lord of the Rings, Doctor Who, and even Avengers movies tend to...ah...do things to me. ;)

    And of course, Han Solo. (although I don't think I cried at that part...I was pretty sure he was going to live because what would Star Wars be without Han?) I was nine the first time I watched it, too, haha :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh! I completely forgot to mention the Avengers! I don't know if I cried during the Avengers, but I the beginning of Guardians of the Galaxy was rough. Captain America: The Winter Soldier was fairly sob-worthy as well.

      Han is just the best, isn't he? ;)

      Delete