Pages

Sunday, April 26, 2015

More Music

Hey everyone! I don't really have time for a proper post, so I thought I'd share some more music that has inspired Esprit de la Rose and Hail Frost.

Esprit de la Rose

Come A Little Closer by Cage the Elephants



I'm not actually a huge fan of this band, but they had a free concert a little while back and my bestie and I went to go see it because why not? This was one of the few songs that actually grabbed my attention.

It fits Pepin PERFECTLY. The meaning is ambiguous, you can twist the words to mean almost anything you want them to mean. Everything is so utterly perfect. That's all I can really say. ;)

Beautiful Cruel World by Yoko Hikasa, English cover by Adriana Figuro (adrisaurus)



I'm a sucker for Japanese songs. They tend to have much more depth and ambiguity than mainstream American music. This one fits both Cecilia and the entire theme of Esprit de la Rose fairly well. Plus, it's just beautiful. I listened to it a lot while writing.

Hoist the Colours from Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End



The Pirates of the Caribbean films are some of my favorite movies of all time. I put some references to the Pirates films in Esprit. How could I not listen to this song while writing, even if it doesn't have anything to do with the actual story? It's so mysterious and... pirate-y. I love it.

Look At Me by TheOneOffAccount

(SPOILERS for Harry Potter in the song and in the below paragraph)



I mentioned the beach trip where I started writing Esprit in my last post. I read through the entire Harry Potter series for the first time during that same beach trip. Though I did not do it on purpose, I can definitely see how Harry Potter affected Esprit de la Rose, particularly the Severus Snape plot of Harry Potter. Though the song is romantic, the anguish and intensity reminds me starkly of one of the Esprit characters.

Hail Frost

I'm just now starting to write Hail Frost again! Yay! Here are some of the songs I've been listening to.

Crossing Fields by LiSa, English cover by Amanda Lee (LeeandLie)



Yeah, yeah, so I'm into anime now. As my brother said when he found out, "And I thought you couldn't get any nerdier." I take it as a compliment. Anyway, this song doesn't really fit Hail Frost- too romantic- but I find myself listening to it anyway. Maybe it's because Kirito, the protagonist of Sword Art Online, is very much like Hail. Maybe it's because a couple of lines resonate with Hail Frost, like "I was never right for a hero type of role" and "I will become your sword and shield this crossing field's the path that we select".

Mordred's Lullaby by Heather Dale



This song is so eerily beautiful. It makes me think of ancient times, myths, storms, and secrets. It definitely fits one of the Hail Frost arcs, which is no doubt why I've been listening to it so much.

May It Be by Enya



It's so peaceful, soothing, and nostalgic- something Hail Frost decidedly is not. I think Hail would like to be though. Poor guy never gets a break. Maybe that's why I keep listening to it- it helps me think of Hail as a person, of his hopes, his dreams, and his fears, rather than the mask of depth he uses to push people away.

Once Upon a Dream by Lana Del Rey



Hail would probably be a bit miffed if he knew I was listening to a fairy tale song to gather inspiration for his story, but it's true. There's a lot of mystery and magic surrounding Holdinus, something that goes much deeper than even the Leverage legacy. The song sounds both threatening and enticing, as if daring someone to come a little closer. It's almost like Holdinus singing to the Leverage. But I'll leave that for Hail Frost to explain. ;)

Hope you all have a fantastic week! I'll try to post again soon, but alas, I can make no promises. :(

What are songs that have inspired your recent writing? Love to hear 'em! I'm completely rubbish at finding new music, so I'd love any recommendations!

5 comments:

  1. OH MY WORD Hoist the Colors is one of my favorite songs. I love all of the Pirates films, and you put references in Espirit?!? Now I just want to read it all the more. :)

    Love the rest of the songs as well. Can I ask what other anime you're watching? My brothers got me hooked, though I haven't seen SAO yet. Any favorites?

    As for soundtracks to my stories, I usually use lots of film scores. My current playlist has Princess Diaries, both of Robert Downy Jr.'s Sherlock Holmes, and some video game scores. One of my other favorite finds are contemporary composers on YouTube. I've had a lot of luck finding them just by typing (something) music, like fantasy music or pirate music. They have some great pieces, and it's fun to find something out of the ordinary!

    I didn't get a chance to comment on your last post, but I wanted to thank you for being honest and sharing your story. My own grandpa passed away a few years ago, and then my grandma passed away not long after that. They were both wonderful, godly, amazing grandparents. I miss them both. The last few years have been difficult, but with God's grace, we know this is not the end. There is hope and joy in the mourning. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You gotta love Pirates of the Caribbean! ^_^ The main reference comes in the form of two of my characters. It could also be taken as a Disney's Beauty and the Beast reference. I mean, both movies have two frenemy characters that are bumbling and comedic (Cogsworth/Lumiere and Pintel/Ragetti), how could I not make my own version of them? XD

      SAO is actually the only anime I've seen thus far, but my friend has recommended I check out Akame Ga Kill, RWBY, and Fairy Tale. My cousin recommended Full Metal Alchemist as well. What anime have you liked so far? :)

      I LOVE soundtracks! The main problem with them is the fact that the scene I'm writing while listening to them often imitates something from the movie/TV/video game. I really love the Super Smash Bros. for the Wii U music. It's a huge variety of mostly fast-paced, awesome music! And YouTube music is normally SO much better than mainstream music. There are some truly talented people online! I particularly like Karliene, Adrisaurus, LeeandLie, and TheOneOffAccount.

      Thank you so much for your sweet comment! I'm sorry about your grandparents. It's so hard losing someone so close, but you're absolutely right, it is comforting to know that we'll see them again! Whenever I start feeling sad about Grandad, I always picture him having a blast at a party in heaven, probably cracking jokes and talking the ears off of everyone around him. God truly is gracious to give us the assurance of seeing them again! ^_^

      Delete
    2. How fun! I never realized both movies have the same type of characters. I'm sure they were fun to write!

      One of my brother watched FMA, and he really liked it, though I haven't seen it yet. Clannad/Clannad Afterstory are classics, but I didn't really get into them until around halfway through Afterstory. Then OH MY GOSH, THE FEELZ. It was wonderful. :) I /really/ love the anime Trigun, which is one of my all time favorites. Fairy Tail is amazing as well, especially for writers. Everyone gets backstory at some point, which is all AMAZING. However, Fairy Tail is rather long, so it's a commitment. :) I hope you find some good ones!

      Right? ^.^ I usually have a hard time finding music for my intense scenes, and it's just not right to write to the wrong music. XD I usually use the Assassin's Creed soundtracks, not because I've played the games, but because they have a great feel to them. *goes to look up YouTube artists* A few of my favorites are Adrian Von Ziegler and Peter Gundry.

      Thanks. :) It's so difficult when this side of heaven is all we see, and we can't begin to imagine what it's truly like. But I know our grandparents are having a wonderful, amazing, phenomenal time. God truly is gracious, and we will see them again. :)

      Delete
  2. I LOVE inspiring music. Sometimes I'm not sure how well I'd be able to write without it, it is fun making playlists for books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true! Making a book playlist is one of those procrastinating-on-writing-but-trying-to-excuse-it projects I always undertake whilst writing a book. XD

      Delete