Pages

Monday, June 22, 2015

Ring Around the Rose: Other Authors

Welcome to this week's Ring Around the Rose! I've been especially excited about this one...



What famous author(s) do you feel your writing is most similar to, and why? AND/OR What author do you wish you wrote the most like?

Hehehehe *dons lab coat and rubs hands together* Let's get started!

First off, writing style. In both Ember Flame and Hail Frost, I have a particular writing formula that I try to follow. I've found that this formula holds the attention of middle-school aged readers (my target audience) the best, while also causing them to enjoy the story. At the beginning of a scene, I describe the setting as quickly and descriptively as I can, then I jump into action and dialogue. I don't really mention the setting again unless it is being directly used in the action or mentioned in the dialogue.

I started doing this because, as a middle-schooler, I often skimmed description, but read action and dialogue. Every middle-schooler I have asked about this has admitted to doing the same thing. So why write description that is not going to be read anyway? However, books need descriptions, so I try to keep settings as fresh and zany as I possibly can. That's why the characters in Ember Flame travel so much. In Hail Frost, there is still a fair amount of traveling, but the traveling takes place VERY differently than in Ember Flame. Most of the story also happens in Northern Barbaric, a land that morphs and transforms periodically, so that made the "crazy setting thing" rather easy for me.

A couple of years ago, I read Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck. I absolutely loved it, and part of the reason I loved it was because I found that I hadn't been writing weirdly at all! Well, if it is a bit weird, at least I'm not the only one doing it! Each chapter of Of Mice and Men begins with a long, vivid description, then the rest of the chapter is mostly dialogue and action. Steinbeck did this so that Of Mice and Men could be easily adapted into a play. It made for an easily readable and engaging story. I hope middle-schoolers find Ember Flame and hopefully-soon-to-be Hail Frost the same.

As for story itself... I feel like Ember Flame is similar to the Wingfeather Saga by Andrew Peterson because of the crazy, kinda out-there world-building and I also think it is similar to Marissa Meyer's Lunar Chronicles because of the large cast of characters and inter-related stories.

Who do I wish I wrote like? Well...

I wish I wrote like me. I've been writing for five years now, and I feel like I am just now starting to figure out who I am and what I write as an author. I try very hard not to copy others, but I also don't want to try to reinvent the wheel, you know what I mean?

I wish I could hold interest and build characters like J.K. Rowling. I wish I could write long paragraphs of dialogue as dramatically as Charlotte Bronte. I wish I had the world-building genius of Brandon Sanderson. I wish I had the poetic prose of F. Scott Fitzgerald.

But in the end, I wish most to simply write a good story. And that will only be possible, for me if I write as me. Not as somebody else.

*nods, snaps goggles onto eyes, and moonwalks out of the room, lab coat fluttering*

So what about you? Y'all know the drill, answer the question in your own blog post and then comment the link back here! Oh, and you don't have to have participated in the last few weeks of Ring Around the Rose. Feel free to join now! ^_^

If you'd like some tips of how to fend off hungry dragons, I suggest giving these posts a read.

Savannah at Savannah Jay's Workshop
Jenelle at Jenelle Schmidt
Dorian at Dorian Writes
Hayden at The Story Girl
Heidi at Along the Brandywine
Grace at A Live Masterpiece

8 comments:

  1. I cannot wait to read Hail Frost! I read Ember Flame and bought the book even though I had a Kindle copy.

    Here's my Ring Around the Rose post. This is splendid fun. http://alivemasterpiece.blogspot.com/2015/06/ring-around-rose-other-authors.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I'm so glad you enjoyed Ember Flame and I can't wait to finish Hail Frost! ^_^

      I LOVED your blog post. It was so heartfelt and genuine. You're a very talented writer and blogger. Keep it up! :D

      Delete
  2. Excellent answers to a very tough couple of questions. I think I'm going to steal the part about wanting to write like myself. Love it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Huzzah for Andrew Peterson! I love his plot twists. There is also something about his writing, both books and his music, that is so spiritually rich. Quite delicious, really.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrew Peterson is completely amazing. One minute he can have you snorting and feeling all of middle-school again because of jokes involving Thwaps, Toothy Cows, and Snot Wax; then the next minute you're crying because of poor Tink, Peet the Sock Man, or any of the other incredible characters. I love his writing style and stories so much! ^_^

      Delete
  4. Thoroughly enjoyed your post, Kaycee! And great answers. :D

    Here's my link: http://ladyofanorien.blogspot.com/2015/06/ring-around-rose-week-4-style-mentors.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! ^_^

      What an incredible post! I really love your scholarly way of examining the question and answering it fully. Thanks for playing Ring Around the Rose with us! :D

      Delete