Pages

Friday, November 13, 2015

NaNo Update 2: So Many Sighs

5,382. That is all I have written this month.

Well, that's not entirely true. I've written over 3,000 words in various college assignments. But still. 5,382.

Sigh.

I'm trying not to beat myself up over it. My main focus is college right now, and I try to keep that in mind. However, it is still very frustrating. Ya see, in the long run, Skull White is going to require so much more meaningful research than a 300 word essay analysis on some modern philosophy article. It's going to push my writing abilities so much more than a paper arguing that poetry combined with creative writing can be more powerful than poetry alone (though, admittedly, that was a fun essay to write). The research it requires is so much more interesting than reading page upon page on the various ways ice caps effect the climate.

But hey, I'm having fun writing it. And this weekend, my roommate and I are staying at my house, so I'll have plenty of time to write then. Hopefully. I should actually work on a paper and a project that are both due on the 17th but shhhh, I'm not going to think about that right now.

So. Would y'all like a short excerpt from Skull White? Keep in mind that it's a rough draft, I'm tired, it needs editing, blah blah blah, insert all the usual excuses.

***

David hated his earliest memory.

As a child, he had curiously asked the kinder people surrounding him what their earliest memory was and did they like it? Some pursed their lips thoughtfully, trying to dredge up some profound recollection with which to bless his listening ears. Others smiled nostalgically before launching into some rambling drama of dancing with their mothers in the drawing room or learning how to tie a knot with their father or licking a sugar cane while on a walk with their nursemaid. Pathetically naive, wholly dull, and so utterly meaningless.

If only he could have been so lucky.


***

David's such a grouch. XD Tbh, it's been so much fun writing in the Esprit world, but through the lens of David. It completely changes the feel of the world. Esprit was told mostly in Cecilia's POV, which is admittedly distorted because she tries so hard to see the good in everything and everyone, always making the best of a situation. The parts told in Pepin's POV were similarly distorted, but because he was in a constant state of denial. He tried to think of everything through the lens of ironic levity. 

David has a much darker mind and a much darker worldview. The feel of Skull White is a lot darker than Esprit, and it's mostly because of David's grim outlook. 

I love it so much. David is an ISTJ which is definitely more in my comfort zone that Pepin's ESFPness or Cecilia's INFPness. I definitely prefer writing TJs over FPs.

Well, enough about Skull White. Here's some fun stuff!

Current Obsessions

This Movie




This Song




This Book




This Trailer




This Youtuber




So how are y'all doing? ^_^

6 comments:

  1. I never got to hear David's earliest memory. Yes, I've been warned it's unpleasant, but inquiring minds want to know.
    Anyhow, keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, if it makes you feel any better, David does not reveal his memory at that time. After the paragraph, he immediately blocks his mind from thinking about it, and the plot continues. He does not like people prying into That Memory, but I'm sure he might be persuaded to share sometime.

      Thank you so much for your encouragement! It means a lot to me. :)

      Delete
  2. Just fyi... I got NO writing done in college. All my books were written during the summers. So the fact that you've written 5,000 words for nano in the midst of being a college freshman? That's pretty impressive.

    SO looking forward to reading this story! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for telling me that! I'm feeling a lot more relaxed about it now. :)

      Thanks! I am already looking forward to finishing it and editing it myself so that I can then send it to you. ^_^

      Delete
    2. Happy to help! Writing and college-ing are hard to mix. :)

      That being said: Eeeeep! :) If I'm on the list of first people to read it, then... I take it back. Write now, college later. (just kidding... sort of...) hahahaha

      Delete
  3. Hey Kaycee! I tagged you in the One Lovely Blog game. You don't have to do it, of course, but if you're low on blog post ideas like I was.... :) http://jenelleschmidt.com/one-lovely-blog-award/

    ReplyDelete